providence |ˈprävədəns; -ˌdens| 1. the protective care of God or of nature as a spiritual power: "they found their trust
in divine providence to be a source of comfort" 2. God or nature as providing such care: "I live out my life as Providence
decrees" 3. timely preparation for future eventualities: "it was considered a duty to encourage providence" (see provide)

Providence |ˈprävəˌdens; -dəns| 1. the capital of Rhode Island, a port near the head of the Providence River, on
the Atlantic coast; pop. 173,618. It was founded in 1636 by Roger Williams (1604–83) as a haven for religious dissenters.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Reaching the Summit

Despite the fact that I am in denial of surpassing the halfway mark of this trip, here's a recap of last week's work, as then we were only approaching the middle point of our journey.

The work week began on Tuesday at St. Lucy's, and I found myself with a new classroom assignment - Kindergarten! The four, five, and six-year-old's in Monet Class were as precious as can be. Many of the children in this class live with hearing and speech impairments, so most of the activities for the day were centered on teaching the children sign language! At such a young age this can be a challenge, so in addition to pictures we used physical objects and situations so the children could strengthen their other senses. Since Tuesday's lesson was about learning the difference between hot and cold, we made hot chocolate and enjoyed some ice cream pops while signing to the children which was hot and which was cold. It was so fun to watch the children's faces light up with excitement at the sight of the sugary goods!

Making new friends at the Veritas Dinner
After munching on a quick lunch in the teacher's lounge (in which one of the teachers gave me a quick run down of all the rules of Rugby League after I told him I was going to the State of Origin game), I caught the train home to Strathfield. Elizabeth and I then picked up Joe and we made our way over to the Rosary Lodge for the Veritas Dinner, a gathering of the community in Strathfield interested in discussing popular talking points in Catholic culture over dinner! We enjoyed some soup, lasagna, and desserts, all while discussing the future of the "New Church" - the conversation was great, particularly focusing on the importance of being a witness of Christ and communicating the power of the Holy Spirit in a generation that is so quick to turn away from the "rules" of the Church.
We had a great discussion at St. Dominic table!

Wednesday commenced my last full day at Santa (excuse me while I grab some Kleenex, and not just because I've finally figured my way around campus). I started the day in Year 11 RE, where the girls were studying Shinto religion and crafting their own paper cranes. Then it was off to Kate's Year 10 RE, where they were preparing for the HSCE exam (think Regents Exams, New York friends). And as Morning Tea came around, I found that I had unconsciously slipped into the routine of placing my satchel in my usual seat at my usual table, collecting my usual Tim Tam from the biscuit bowl and pouring myself my usual hot cup of tea, scoop of sugar and drop of milk in my usual cream colored mug, just like all of my previous Santa visits. I've even grown accustomed to my Morning Tea "mates" from the RE department who always join me, despite other teacher's they have to chat with or work they need to catch up on. All of them - Michael, Kate, Marysa, Samantha, and many others - have taken me under their wing and made me feel so incredibly welcome and comfortable, as if I am truly one of them. I feel as if I have five mom's and dad's looking after me at all times (which I'm sure is a comfort to my real mom and dad)!

Two lovely Year 11's showing off their origami skills
After Morning Tea, I joined Samantha in Year 7 RE, where they were studying the Liturgical Year. The girls enjoyed an artsy class, creating pictures of stained glass windows that depicted the Feast of the Sacred Heart. They were a quiet bunch, and so it was a bit of a shock to follow Samantha to her next class, Year 9 Geography - they were quite a "cheeky" bunch to say the least! But their bubbly and eager attitudes were contagious, and I found myself completely immersed in their class discussion regarding population growth in Australia. We followed up Geography with some lunch with the other RE teachers, after which I helped Michael organize some papers in his office. I finished the school day in Kate's Year 12 RE class, where they were studying Islam (their RE program is so diverse)!

Let the games begin...
After school, I walked home with Louise and spent the afternoon chatting with the girls - another routine I have grown incredibly accustomed to. It is so phenomenal to have sisters to come home to - there is just a simple joy in sharing a good laugh after a tiring day with those you really care about :) After enjoying some dinner, Sarah and I met Joe, Laura and Guillian at the train station and headed to Sydney Olympic Park for the State of Origin Rugby League match between New South Wales and Queensland! The event is a best-out-of-three series, and Queensland had won the first game, meaning NSW had to win in order to advance. Upon arriving to the stadium, we received a free blue wig and blue t-shirt, later to learn that we had become a part of the newest Guinness World Record of most wigs in one single place! And to top off a perfect night, NSW captured the win, 16-12!

Making our way into The Guinness Book in style
On Thursday, I was back at Santa for my last official day at the school (already?!). I started things off in Year 11 History. The teacher was absent and so the substitute teacher "embraced the opportunity to interview an American"and we all enjoyed lots of questions and giggles! Then it was off to Year 11 RE, where the girls were preparing their own Liturgy of the Word for the entire Year 11 class to attend. It was really great to watch how the girls, all from different social circles, interacted with one another. There were no "free-riders" - all of the girls took on responsibilities and were always open to helping each other out! I enjoyed my last Morning Tea at Santa, and then Dominique and I headed off to the school chapel to set up for the "Wisdom Mass," which celebrated the 10 year anniversary of the Middle School at Santa! This was particularly exciting because Rachel, Laura, and Sarah V. were all students in the middle school when it first opened, and so the Mass was very special to them in particular! The Mass was beautiful and followed with a nice brunch, where I met up with Joe and the Vaccari's! Then we were off to Cairns for the weekend, but more on that later! :)

It is hard to believe that only as I approach the "summit" of this fellowship, I would be engaged in so many farewells and goodbyes already. It's only been three weeks and I have already been forced to soak in many atmospheres for the last time. And while this was a sad and daunting reality at first, it has made me incredibly excited for all of the new experiences that await in the three weeks ahead.

Here's to not tumbling down the mountain!

No comments:

Post a Comment